Australia is not only about a huge group of bouncing kangaroos and unlimited sunshine. It is true that the country is filled with a massive island of kangaroos, but its actually a diverse place. You will be surprised when you get to discover the range of cities and climates you will get to experience.
If you are that independent woman who loves backpacking, then this article is for you! If you are looking forward to visiting Australia, you want to make sure that you are prepared when it comes to your time Down Under.
This information is created for us ladies who want to travel light, particularly, when we have to carry our bags on our backs! Can you relate?
So, prepare yourself for a trip of a lifetime with this utmost female backpacking Australia packing list.
- 1 Rain Jacket- Australia is not always sunny! They have rainy days too. So pack a nice lightweight, waterproof jacket just in case.
- 1 Thick Hoodie or Sweater- These two are your essentials for evening and winter days in Melbourne or Sydney!
- 1 Pair of Leggings/ Exercise Pants- We can forget this one! Bring your favourite leggings because there is plenty of Australian National Parks, hiking, and camping you can explore.
- 1 Casual Dress/ Shorts- For a more relaxed evening feel.
- 2x Pair Long Jeans / Trousers- You need these for exploring places in the evening or wandering around cities.
- 1 Swim Cap- Take your personalised swimming cap with you, you are going to need it for those pool or beach days right?
- 1 Short Summer Dress- You might want to be stylish for a beach day!
- 2x Sarongs- You can it as a scarf, beach towel, bathrobe, sheet, and even a laundry bag. Go pick the most gorgeous you can bring with you.
- 7 T-Shirts- Make sure you have them in a range of colours that match the trousers/shorts you have chosen.
- 8x Pairs Underwear- Having extra pairs will save you plenty of washing.
- 2x Bras- If you can pack 1, then do it. You can use your bikini or sports bra for extra use.
- 1x Sports Bra- Something quick to dry.
- 2x Bikini / Swimwear- Of course, Australian beaches! We don’t need to explain why.
- 3x Pairs Socks- Great for hiking, outdoor stuff, and for city days.
- 1 Nightwear- This is optional because you can always double up on your daywear to save space.
- 1 Sun Hat- The heat can be painful, so bring a lovely sun hat that will protect and make you cute too.
- 1 Pair Trainers- You need this if you want to explore the beauty of Australia.
- 1 Pair Flip Flops- Well, these are the basic national dress of Australia. So go bring them.
- 1 Pair Day Shoes- This can be your pair of converse, sneakers, or pumps for enjoying towns and cities on foot while looking stylish at the same time.
- 1 Pair Smart Sandals or Flats- Although this is not essential, many women like to pack them especially if they like to spend more time in a city.
- 1 Thin Toiletries Bag- Light and thin with multiple compartments.
- 1 Shampoo & 1 Conditioner- You can find travel bottles available anywhere if you prefer to bring your own.
- 1 Deodorant
- 1 Toothbrush, 1 Toothpaste, 1 Floss
- 1 Soap- Keep it in a ziplock bag so it won’t slip.
- 1 Sanitary Napkin- Who knows when it’s the time of the month.
- 1 Razor & Spare Blades
- 1 Nail Scissors & 1 Nail File
- 1 Tweezers
- Cotton Buds & Hair Bands
- 1 Natural Sunscreen- Choose chemical-free sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher to shield yourself from strong Aussie rays.
- 1 Aloe Vera- Soothes your sunburn.
- 1 Natural Insect Repellent- You don’t want insects to ruin your travel.
- 1 Box Paracetamol, 1 Anti-Septic Cream & 1 Box Band-Aids- Don’t take your whole medicine cabinet with you.
- Safety Pins- Just in case! It’s always handy.
- 1 Camera, Lens, Charging Unit, Spare Battery & Cables
- 2x SD Memory Cards- Just in case you lose one. Highly recommend at least 64GBs.
- 1 USB Stick and/or External Harddrive- For backing up photos and info.
- 1 Adapter- How are you going to charge?
- Headphones- For longer journey days so you can listen to music or audiobooks.
- 1 Portable Power Pack- Useful when travelling without a solidly reliable changing source.
Ivandrea Ollero is a content writer who researches and writes custom content about home improvements, travel, fashion, and beauty. She graduated from St. Scholastica’s College, Manila, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcast Journalism in 2016. Ivandrea provides helpful tips and hacks on various topics for her readers.