If you met with an accident with a larger commercial truck(a semi-truck, a tanker truck, a dump truck, etc), then you might consider handling your case yourself. But, it is not just a regular car accident case; you may face many disadvantages and difficulties if you try to deal on your own. The truck owners or companies have more knowledge than you in these legal cases.
What are the challenges and difficulties of handling your case yourself?
If you handle your case yourself, then it can save you money to claim compensation. But you may need help during this process. Have a look at some problems you may have to tackle:
- First, you have to deal with the physical conditions of your or your loved one, including emotional and financial impacts. You also have to bear the pain, medical bills, suffering, and damage to your vehicles. It can affect your life the way you have lived.
- Are you aware of insurance companies or truck companies? If not, then it will be easier for you to negotiate with them. They may convince you to wait for some time or request lots of documents. They can even blame you for the accidents. If they want, then they may claim some compensation from you by saying it was your fault.
- For proof, you have to go to capture some evidence like photos, videos, black box data, etc. But, in your condition, how will you handle such things yourself? Think of it.
- If, in any circumstances, you collected that evidence, then you have to calculate the compensation for medical bills, emotional suffering, etc. If you found out about the true intention of that truck driver or truck company, which may have been beneficial for you, then you have to claim punitive damages. But, in this case, you have to learn what punitive damages are.
- Last but not least, if insurance companies deny a settlement, then you have filed a lawsuit. For this process, you have to gather all the information about the accidents from the day of accidents to the date when they were denied a settlement. It is a long process if you don’t have prior knowledge of the court, lawsuit, legal issues, and consequences.
If you read this far, then you know how stressful a task it can be. It requires a lot of effort, time, prior knowledge, and skills. If you accidentally miss any parts of the process or make any mistakes, then you will lose the compensation money and your time. So, beware of the consequences.
What are the benefits of hiring a truck accident attorney?
If you hire a truck accident attorney, then you made the right choice. They can help you to go through the difficulties from the beginning to end of the case, can give you emotional support, can guide you through legal procedures you should take, etc.
Now, you know the difficulties you may face if you go through the legal process yourself. Those challenges or problems were discussed earlier in this blog. If you are reading this, then you already know the consequences. Let’s not repeat this. Please scroll up and read the points of this outline: “What are the challenges and difficulties of handling your case yourself?” Convert the negative outcomes to positive ones. Then, you can learn about what are the benefits of hiring a truck accident attorney.
A truck accident lawyer can use their legal expertise and skills to fight for you in court. They can represent you before the court, present the evidence, and cross-examine the witnesses to get you through the process.
How to find and choose a truck accident attorney?
Now, knowing the benefits of hiring a truck accident attorney, you may change your decision. If you are willing to hire one, then follow these steps to find the best attorney for your case:
- Please take out your phone and search for a Truck Accident Attorney near me on Google or any online platform like government portals.
- Go through each name or website that has more ratings. Then, check their websites, read reviews, know their case results, etc. If you have doubts, then contact your State Bar Associations for their valid credentials and license.
- List all the lawyers you are interested in, call them, and schedule a meeting for a free consultation. Yes, you heard right. You can get a free consultation before hiring one.
- During your consultation, ask them about their fee structures, experiences from past clients, a strategy they want to follow, and availability. Quietly observe their communication style.
- After the consultation, decide which one will be going to your lawyer for the case. To choose the best, you need to compare based on their personality, communication style, fees, and experiences.
- After picking a name, visit again to sign a written agreement with fee percentage, expenses that will be deducted from the recovery amount, termination clause, and more. But before signing a deal, you need to read carefully.
So, in the end, the better option is hiring a truck accident attorney than handling your case yourself. They can help you in any possible way you will face in the coming days. With the help of them, you will not only get the potential amount of compensation but also you will be able to defeat your opponent and get justice. Isn’t it satisfying knowing your victory is near you? So, if you are the victim and reading this, then good luck with your case.