Believe it or not, but an area rug can be a powerful design tool. It acts as a complementary background for your living room and a kind of artwork for your floor.
And there is a vast array of options, ensuring homeowners can find something suitable. Their versatility in terms of designs, colours, and patterns allows homeowners to find something for both traditional and modern interiors, from bold to simple designs.
If you are looking for the perfect area rug for your living room, it’s vital to consider certain factors before purchasing one. Here are some guidelines from a flooring store in Mississauga, Ontario, to ensure you find the right fit area rug for your space.
How to Pick a Suitable Area Rug for Your Space
Consider these tips from an area rugs store in Mississauga to make an informed decision.
- Rug Type: Knowing about the different types of area rugs allows you to shop smart and avoid wasting money on something you will get bored of or that isn’t in style. Here are some terms to be aware of that signify the construction method.
- Shag – These varieties have a woven, tufted, or knotted texture and come with plush pile or surface layer. Take a look at some ways to maintain these rugs.
- Tufted – In this type, pieces of yarn are typically punched through a backing and then cut to create a smooth pile. Note: these rugs have a tendency to shed more than other varieties.
- Flat-Woven – Often referred to as dhurries and kilims, these are made with a type of woven loom either by machine or hand and come without a backing. This makes them a reversible yet light option.
- Knotted – In this variety, pieces of yarn are tied together by hand to wrap the fibres on a loom. This makes them a labour-intensive variety that generally costs more than other styles.
- Hooked – While the construction method is similar to that of tufted area rugs, in this type the yarn isn’t cut shorter and left in a looped pile.
- Braided – This is a type where lengths of yarn, fabric or natural fibres are first braided and then sewn together to create a durable area rug.
Knowing the varieties of area rugs lets you keep an eye out for whatever suits your living room. Plus, it will help you understand what type of maintenance each one requires. Your best bet to choose the correct one for your space is to consult your local flooring store.
- Size: Our area rugs experts in Mississauga say selecting a rug that isn’t big enough for your space will throw off the entire room’s design by making other decor elements look out of place. For an average-sized room, you should keep between 10 and 20 inches of empty floor space between the edges of the rug and the walls. Try to keep the area rug in the centre of the room. Make sure the empty floor space is the same on all four sides.
- Pattern and Colour: It’s necessary to carefully consider the colour and pattern of the area rug you want to purchase. Patterned varieties are great to add a pop of colour to rooms with neutral walls and/or furniture. Similarly, getting an area rug in a solid neutral colour is a great way to complement an eclectic room. However, remember that a patterned area rug will be better at hiding dirt, spills, and dust while a solid one will show stains more easily.
Finding the perfect area rug is no easy task. Thanks to modern techniques and technology, you can find something from a virtually endless array of options, and hopefully, this blog will help. So, what are you waiting for? Get in touch with a leading area rug provider near you and purchase the right one for your space.