During winters, when it’s freezing cold outside, you must have definitely thought of having a fireplace in your house to enjoy its warmth. People are fascinated with homes that have chimneys. Nowadays, it plays a vital role in the kitchen. Like most equipment, chimneys also require maintenance.
You can hire a chimney sweep that can take care of the health and safety issues of the kitchen chimney. However, if you’re looking to clean the kitchen chimney without hiring a Chimney sweep, then this article would be of great help to you. The primary purpose of the kitchen chimney is to remove or vent out smoke, vapors, steam, etc. If a chimney is not cleaned regularly, then it will lead to deposition of steam and grease droplets, which will eventually block the gasses. This will gradually lead to health hazards like bacteria or fungus, leading to foul order.
So the question is, how often should I clean it? And the answer is once every 2 months. There are different methods to remove different dirt particles or stains.
You can find five tips below, which will help in cleaning chimney filters, hood, mesh, and baffles.
- Vinegar – White vinegar helps in cleaning dirt particles or stains deposited on the exterior part of the chimney. You can take a paper towel, dip it into a vinegar solution, and wipe off every portion. Then, you should wait for some time and then wipe off again with a paper towel kept in water to take out whatever is remaining.
- Caustic Soda- Caustic soda is also called Sodium Hydroxide. It is inexpensive and also used as a powerful cleaner in industries. It dissolves grease, oils, etc. from equipment in enterprises. The procedure is, you should remove metal meshes, baffles and also filters from the chimney and keep it in a metal bucket. Sprinkle some sodium hydroxide on the components and wait for 5 minutes. Then, pour some hot water on the filters so that they are entirely submerged in the metal bucket.
Ensure that you are doing this in a well-ventilated area as this involves releasing fumes which might cause harm to lungs and eyes. Let the components of the chimney be in the water for approximately 3 hours. Afterward, wash it, clean and let it dry in the open air. Make sure that you wear gloves as otherwise, sodium hydroxide can cause chemical burns to your hands. Therefore, please keep in mind to take safety precautions and wear gloves, boots, and also eye protection while cleaning.
- Baking Soda – The chemical name of baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, which is in layman’s terms called ‘salt.’ You can make a paste with water and use it for scrubbing hard dirt particles or stains. If you are looking to remove grease on the chimney hood, then you can put 2 tablespoons of baking soda in some amount of water. After applying this solution on the surface, you should wait for 5 minutes. Next, take a moist cloth and wipe off the grease.
- Dishwashing liquid – These are cleaning agents that are made with the sole purpose of removing grease and oil effectively. To use this liquid, you should scrub it gently throughout the surface. Then take a plastic bucket, fill it with hot water, and keep the filters inside it for approximately 2 hours. Then, you can take the filters out and scrub them until grease is cleaned. Pour some freshwater and then keep them out in the open to set dry.
- Paint Thinners – When you want to remove the most stringent form of grease in places like folds etc. paint thinners would be the best option. It works instantly and removes stains, grease for any material which is stuck to the mesh. You can take microfiber cloth, dab it with paint thinner and then scrub it to remove grease.
Finally, it is vital to clean the components of the chimney periodically so that they perform optimally and also last longer. If your chimney hood has basic grime on it, then it can be cleared with secure solutions like vinegar and baking soda. However, for hardened grease, you must use paint thinners or caustic soda.
For expert cleaning, you can always get in touch with professional chimney sweeping house stuffed with certified chimney sweeps. They will arrive at your home, investigate the root cause, suggest you the best remedy, continue their sweeping and repairing job upon the agreement, and bestow you with a clean and best working chimney for the next few years.