Stainless steel welded pipes and seamless pipes are two common varieties stainless steel pipes, used in several industrial and structural applications, across industries. These might be made from stainless steel, but they are quite different in terms of production process, usability, etc. In this article, we will help you understand the difference between these two varieties of stainless steel pipes. So, without further ado, let’s start with the basics.
What are SS welded pipes?
SS welded pipes are made from stainless steel flat strip, plates, or sheet by cold forming them into circular shape using a plate bending machine. The SS pipe is welded with a high frequency. Not all manufacturing of welded pipe consist of the filler.
These types of pipes are manufactured in multiple sizes, from small to massive dimensions, without any restrictions. In terms of usability, these pipes are extensively used to transport oil, gas, or water in bulk quantities.
What are SS seamless pipes?
Stainless steel seamless pipes, on the other hand, are manufactured using solid stainless steel, which is cast from raw steel. The absence of any seam gives the pipe its name. The hunk of steel is stretched out and then pushed and pulled to create a form. The form is then pierced from the centre to increase the inner diameter, while reducing the outer diameter. Seamless pipes are available in multiple sizes.
However, with an increased inner diameter the price of the pipe increases significantly. You can consult the price factor with your stainless steel pipe fittings suppliers in UAE. Seamless pipes are widely used in pressure vessels, chemical plants, construction, process and power piping, ship building, etc.
How are they different from each other?
SS WELDED PIPES
- The welding makes them slightly less resistant to load and pressure in comparison to seamless pipes.
- There are no size constraints for production.
- It can be manufactured in longitudinal lengths.
- Welded pipes are slightly more prone to corrosion.
- Welded pipes cost lesser than seamless pipes.
- It must be tested before application.
- The procurement time is shorter and simpler.
- More suitable for low pressure environment.
SS SEAMLESS PIPES
- The absence of any seam helps the pipe to withstand extreme load and pressure.
- Manufactured in the nominal size of up to 24 inches.
- Lengthwise it is shorter than welded pipes.
- Seamless pipes are less prone to corrosion.
- Seamless pipes tend to be on the costlier side.
- It is not mandatory to test before application.
- The procurement time is longer and complex.
- It is more suitable for applications in extreme environments.
So, these were the basic distinctions between welded and seamless stainless steel pipes. If you are in search of quality fabrications of these two varieties in UAE, Dubai, then Mogul Electromech can help you with quality pipes and fittings. Check out their website to get a peek of their inventory and the costs.