While vinyl flooring can stand up to stains and spills, certain substances can leave lasting marks, rust being one of them.
So, it’s important to know how to remove rust stains from vinyl flooring to maintain its appearance and head off the need to install new flooring.
There are various methods you can try, ranging from homemade solutions to store-bought cleaners.
But before getting started, it’s important to know which products you can and cannot use. The wrong ones may worsen the stain or fade the area it’s being used on.
To help ensure your vinyl flooring in Mississauga looks good as new for years to come, here are some tips to remove rust stains.
Let’s get started.
How to Get Rid of Rust Stains from Vinyl Flooring in Mississauga
There are various ways to get rid of pesky rust stains from vinyl floors without having to replace them.
- Use Homemade Remedies
While vinyl flooring is known for its durability, rust stains should be dealt with promptly to keep them from permanently staining the surface. For this, you can consider homemade remedies using everyday products that are inexpensive and readily available in grocery stores and supermarkets. These materials include baking soda, vinegar, and a microfiber cloth or rags.
- Start by clearing the area and removing objects such as appliances and furniture that may prevent you from accessing the stain. You can use a plywood panel when moving the objects to avoid scraping the floor.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the stained area. Be careful only to use a light layer as it will act as an abrasive on the surface.
- Add vinegar and scrub the area with a rag. Alternatively, you can dip the rag in vinegar and scrub it with the baking soda. You may notice a light paste forming on the floor that will penetrate the rust stains and remove them. Scrub the area until the rust stains are removed.
- Finally, use a clean cloth dipped in water to remove any residue of the vinegar and baking soda paste. Allow the space to air dry before moving the objects back into place.
2. Purchase Commercial Cleaners
These products are engineered to remove rust stains from vinyl flooring. Oxalic powder works but is toxic, so use gloves and a mask when using it. Follow the instructions on the container and be sure to test the cleaner on a small patch of vinyl before using it.
3. Avoid Unsuitable Products
Certain products are unsuitable for vinyl. Some commercially available solutions have a high concentration of bleach, which can result in fading and leave behind white splotches. Furthermore, avoid chlorinated floor cleaners, as these may cause irreversible damage. Steer clear of regular bleach too as it can create white splotches, especially when used on coloured vinyl flooring.
Rust stains on vinyl flooring can be a big problem. By promptly taking action to remove them from your vinyl flooring in Mississauga, you can keep them looking good for many years. Using the right cleaning products and methods not only extends vinyl flooring’s life, but reduces the need to spend money on new flooring.